About Ed Semonian
A native of Washington, DC, Ed Semonian moved to Alexandria as a child and has spent his entire life in the city. A proud product of Alexandria’s public schools, Semonian graduated from George Washington High School.
Ed earned both his bachelor’s degree in government and juris doctorate from George Washington University in Washington, DC. After spending time as a management consultant and sole practicioner, he later became partner in the law firm of Clarke, Richard, Moncure and Whitehead. Following his time there, he served as a Senior Vice President and head of the Northern Virginia regional trust department of the United Virginia Bankshares.
After a hard-fought primary, Ed was elected Clerk of the Alexandria Circuit Court in 1979. Over the decades, he has earned the respect and praise of fellow Clerks, attorneys, judges and ordinary citizens alike for his attention to detail, commitment to customer service, and innovations in the Clerk’s office.
Ed lives in Old Town Alexandria with his wife Patricia. They enjoy gardening in their spare time.
Civic Activities and Memberships
- Member, Virginia State Bar
- Member, Virginia Bar Association
- Member, Alexandria Bar Association
- Member, Clerks of the Court Professional Certification Program
- Member, Virginia Court Clerks Association
- Member, Virginia Metropolitan Court Clerks Association
- Member, Advisory Committee on Rules of Court of the VIrginia Supreme Court
- Member and immediate past Chair, Alexandria Sanitation Authority
- Member and former Trustee, Friendship Veterans Fire Engine Association
- Member and former Trustee, Historic Alexandria Foundation
Past Associations and Memberships
- Former Chair, Bank of Alexandria Board of Directors
- Chair, Alexandria Cancer Crusade
- Board member, Alexandria Mental Health Clinic
- Member, Alexandria Lions Club